The PCN Scheme is an international programme for the certification of competence of non-destructive testing personnel which satisfies the requirements of a number of European and international standards. The Council of the British Institute of NDT constitutes a Certification Management Committee and delegates to the CMC the responsibility for maintaining a management overview of the operations of its Certification Services Division. Membership of boards and committees is open to the participation of individuals and organizations. Further information on the work of committees and committee membership is available from The Certification Services Division of the British Institute of NDT.
- An NDT Level II individual should be qualified to set up and calibrate equipment and to interpret and evaluate results with respect to applicable codes, standards, and specifications.
- The NDT Level II should be thoroughly familiar with the scope and limitations of the methods for which he is qualified and should exercise assigned responsibility for on-the-job training and guidance of trainees and NDT Level I personnel.
- The NDT Level II should be able to organize and report the results of NDT tests.
- An NDT Level III individual should be capable of developing, qualifying and approving procedures, establishing and approving techniques, interpreting codes, standards, specifications, and procedures, as well as designating the particular NDT methods, techniques and procedures to be used.
- The NDT Level III should be responsible for the NDT operations for which he is qualified and assigned and should be capable of interpreting and evaluating results in terms of existing codes, standards, and specifications.
- The NDT Level III should have sufficient practical background in applicable materials, fabrication and product technology to establish techniques and to assist in establishing acceptance criteria when none are otherwise available.
- The NDT Level III should have a general familiarity with other appropriate NDT methods, as demonstrated by an ASNT Level III Basic examination or other means.
- The NDT Level III, in the methods in which he is certified, should be capable of training and examine NDT Level I and II personnel for certification in those methods.